Port Royal State Park
Parks | Exit 11
Port Royal State Historic Park was the site one of the earliest colonial communities and trading posts in Middle Tennessee. It was first settled in the early 1780s and was a Longhunter camp as early as 1775. The town of Port Royal was founded in 1797 and rose to great prominence in the early part of the 19th century because of its strategic location at the head of navigation on the Red River, serving all of Northern Middle Tennessee and South Central Kentucky and at a major stage line route. In 1977, the state of Tennessee received the deed to 26 acres of land at Port Royal, and designated it a Tennessee State Park in 1978.
Port Royal State Historic Park includes fishing, ADA accessible restrooms and a picnic area with several tables and three short hiking trails. From there you can also put canoes or kayaks. The Sulphur Fork Creek and the Red River provide fishing for bass, bream and catfish. Fishing is productive from the bank and visitors may carry small personal boats through the park to launch at the access area.
Trek the Red River west for 25 miles to intersect with the Cumberland near downtown Clarksville, or stop at several Blueway Access Points along the way.